Saturday, December 8, 2012

@ Partie Poche

Let me start off by saying that the two of you don't even deserve to be blogged about. You have embarrassed me.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. I am a business student in a prestigious college on the East Coast. I have taken many classes, studied hard, and given many presentations over the past few years. Like every student I have had good professors and bad ones, and have learned to take in whatever lessons I can from each and every one of them. What have you guys done? You've taken the classes, put in the hours, and worked your butts off. But for nothing. You know why? Because you demonstrated on national television that it went in one ear and out the other. You either didn't take to heart anything your professors have taught you, or your professors themselves don't know how to teach. Something tells me it's the first of these two. But worse than this, you've embarrassed me as a business student. You left Shark Tank causing people to think that business students don't learn anything, and that all they are, are arrogant, selfish, snobby buffoons. Well America, I'm here to tell you that that description accurately describes these two business students. But not the rest of us.

We know that before we pitch to investors whose combined net worth are upwards of three billion dollars that we have to be prepared. We know that valuing a business, which only sold 200 units, at $500,000 is absolutely ludicrous and insane. We know that wasting the opportunity that Shark Tank offers is a crime. And we know when to shut the heck up and listen to what other have to say, especially when those "others" are considering investing in your business.

What more can I say? I am embarrassed as a business student by the behavior displayed by these know-it-alls. The student entrepreneurs on the show are usually the most inspiring for me to watch, and these two have completely disappointed me. But my dissapointment goes beyond the scope of the show itself. Like half of all Shark Tank viewers I like looking up the featured products and learn more about them and how successful they have been since the airing of the show. It is already common knowledge that the night of your airing, your website traffic increases a thousand fold. Knowing this, every entrepreneurs on the show prepares for this traffic whether it be by attaining servers or just stocking product. Yet Partie Poche has done neither of these. They told us they have $50,000 in the bank, but have not taken the time to build any web presence or platform on which one can purchase this product. Just a few days ago they put up what appears to be a free Wix website page that says that they are out of stock. It just amazes me.

I wish I can end with something positive, but I just can't. Very few Shark Tank entrepreneurs fit into your category, which I think from now on we should label as 'the buffoon category'. You've wasted an enormous opportunity, embarrassed yourselves in front of millions of people, and worse, embarrassed me and every other business student in this country. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Overall Performance: -1

For anyone seeking a remedy to the "no pocket" problem, here is the solution. It's similar to Partie Poche, but better in so many ways. The product is called the PortaPocket, and is the ultimate solution to everyday misplacements of wallets, cell-phones, and just about everything else. It comes in many different styles and colors, and is just so useful in so many daily situations. Get yours today at http://www.portapocket.com!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff --
    I have to say I was equally mortified by this performance but for a different reason...
    I have a patented product that sits (at least in part ) in the same space as theirs and I had auditioned for Shark Tank twice... ST producers called me last year and asked for video...though didn't get picked then, I was told they loved it and encouraged to come back. So I did... this last May '12. And then they choose that over my mine. *gah!* It's difficult to get passed over ...especially as someone who has worked tooth and nail for 5.5+ years and at every waking hour ...who has done the work in the trenches, who has proven a concept and who has been on the firing line and invested heart, soul and bank account creating something that truly helps people. My versatile PortaPocket hands-free carrying cases do so much more than what their "version" showed on that episode, and present a real business opp as opposed to the squandered attempt they put forth. It's really a kick in the head to think these kids, with their less than 1 year effort got a shot over what is clearly a more useful product that can serve so many more people and in so many more ways. I guess it all just comes down to entertainment value, doesn't it? Well...I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing, people LOVE my PortaPocket and sparkly new *bling!* styles ...and who DOESN'T have a cell phone to carry... or an ID, cash, cards, keys, lipstick, tampon, passport, ipod, camera, medical device, EpiPen etc... ? I will soldier on... after all...my mission has always been: helping people to help themselves. (To see why I'm excited to get up in the morning... take a peek: http://www.portapocket.com :)
    happy holidays to you & yours!
    To celebrate, we're offering 10% off ANY weborder through 12/25/12. Code is ST10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Partie Poche may have a lot to learn and I by no means have a business degree, but that is one damn good product. So its someone else's gain I suppose.

    PortaPocket: First, kuddos for your successful product and I am sorry it wasn't you on Shark Tank. Second, I hate to say this but if I had to choose which brand to buy from, I would choose Partie Poche. Only because it has better marketing design: in product name, in website look, and in photography. And based on design, your site reminds me of fanny packs and money belts. But that is the graphic designer in me who can't help but look at the packaging. However, design can easily be modified and worked on. Where as Partie Poche still has a lot to be worked on.

    Like you said Kendra, unfortunately it comes down to entertainment value. Hopefully you will continue to get the success you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I value your thoughts and appreciate your points. It's true our website can always be improved and new photography can do wonders. Bottom line, cosmetics of the website aside... PortaPocket is simply a better product in design and functionality. While many people are swayed by superficial trappings like pretty packaging and fancy logos, and may enjoy the shiny polish on the latest gadget...or even jump on that bandwagon of what people SAY they "should" revere (the Emperor's New Clothes!) at the end of the day...what value does one get from any given item and does it deliver on the promise. If you go to the heart of the matter...PortaPocket delivers multiple times the capability of the alternative. It simply does MORE. And is more. We will always strive to improve our marketing messages and materials but creating a first class product comes first. We spend our money where it matters most. The rest will follow. :)
      -- Kendra
      p.s. Have to also say I beg to differ on the product name too... noone can spell PartiePoche (French derivative or otherwise)...and PortaPocket actually says what the product IS and does. Better descriptive. I DO like their logo and the boxes they showed on their segment...the problem is their packaging doesn't show the product so noone can see the color or style. That's a retailing problem they'll need to fix.

      Delete
    2. just a note...our website was totally redone ...with gorgeous professional photography for our product shots... in Feb of 2014. come see our new look! :) www.portapocket.com

      Delete
  3. OMG! Is anonymous a guy?? You really think this is a good product?? I am a 25 year old female and I would hate to lift up my dress in front of a bartender or a doorman to grab my money and/or I.D. card. I'd feel like a stripper!! Maybe it does not bother some women, but I rather carry a small clutch than lift up my skirt every time I needed cash or my phone. It is not very hard to dance or go to a club with a tiny clutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course what works for you works for you, but it is also true that any purse (tiny clutch or otherwise) can be a pain to babysit while one is out dancing or out & about. Not to mention a risk for theft or loss. Often people might get wayyy too worried about what others think of them ...seriously..nobody is micromanaging one's every move. That said...when using PortaPocket... there is NO need to hike up your skirt or even lift your dress at all...not at least with our patented product. That's why we have made the pocket optionally DETACHABLE so you can get it in your two hands to make it easy to manipulate when you need to get things out of it. And no...it won't fall off(know this from 5+ yrs of wearing them every day :). Simply wear it closer to your hem and there is no exposure needed. OR...just wear it on yourself in a different spot. Slip one of our belt-loop mounted pockets onto a belt and wear it OVER your outfit at your waist (among many other options). Again...this is why PortaPocket runs rings around the competitors as it, alone, is designed to be capable of being used in these multiple ways. And as for theirs? And the others? NO. Doesn't. And won't.

      Delete
  4. Chill out. Do you realize they edit this show? Get the whole story before you spew hate. http://sharktankblog.com/cell-phone-holder/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a difference between hate and effective critique. A train wreck is a train wreck whether the track was broken or the conductor was drunk.

      Delete