Wednesday, November 21, 2012

@ T-Mobile Product Placement

I don't know how many of you have been noticing the new T-Mobile product placement in the Shark Tank, but it makes me want to throw up in my mouth. It's rude, awkward, embarrassing, and completely ineffective.

For those who are unfamiliar with the concept, product placement is when a brand subtlety places a product in a movie or TV show with a goal of making an impression in the viewer's mind, leading him or her to think about that product. It's Cheerios in Superman. It's Reese's Pieces in E.T. It's Aston Martin in the James Bond franchise. It's Fed Ex in Cast Away. It's Pepsi in The X Factor. Get the picture? Companies have bidding wars and pay premiums to get their products in films and shows. Did you watch the newest James Bond - Skyfall? Did you recognize the Heineken beer 007 was drinking instead of his notorious vodka martini? Do you know how much Heineken paid for that? $45 million dollars! That's why only large companies get their products into these shows and films - it costs a fortune. But it's well worth it...when it's done right.

Let's talk about the latest episodes of Shark Tank. One of the most unique elements about Shark Tank is its authenticity and realism. Entrepreneurs who are at great risk of losing their businesses come on the show pleading for investments, and you watch their dreams come true. It's incredible, educational, inspiring, and so real. It's real people, real money, and real results. But now, there are sprinkles of interrupting trash. And it's just plain disturbing.

You all saw it, the question is if you picked up on it. T-Mobile has started a product placement campaign on Shark Tank. Whether it's the entrepreneur who, after being criticized by Mark Cuban, exclaimed that with his T-Mobile phone he can show his infomercial on the TV screen, or Daymond John who awkwardly pulled out his T-Mobile to take a picture of Mark Cuban and then "share it with the world", it's undoubtedly the worst product placement attempt I've ever seen. Product placement isn't about dumping your product into a show, it's about carefully positioning it so that it's being showcased in a cool, positive environment. When James Bond drinks that Heineken, you want to get of your butt, start up your Aston Martin, swagger your way into the store, and pop one open yourself. Now imagine if 007 just randomly blurted out "Heineken is the best beer" in the middle of a shoot out. Or if he explicitly made a remark about Heineken. It would look absolutely ridiculous! Well, that's what T-Mobile has done in the Shark Tank. They have embarrassed themselves with a completely ineffective product placement choice, and have taken some of the pureness out of the best reality show on TV.

And for the few of you who actually went out and bought T-Mobile phone because you saw one in Daymond Johns' hands, do you really think Daymond uses T-Mobile? Really?? And he decided to inform us of his phone choice in the middle of airing a TV show? This is reality here. T-Mobile needs to hire some new marketers. Because this is an embarrassment to their company, their customers, the Sharks, and Shark Tank fans across the country.

13 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more (Posted with my T-Mobile Device :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to share this with my T-Mobile device!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, these plugs are extremely awkward and obvious. Ruins the integrity of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Jeff -- totally with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree with you more. Let me just beam this blog to my friends with my T-Mobile device that I saw on a reality show...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Shark Tank used to be one of my favorite shows...

      Delete
  6. Very funny!!

    I was just talking to a person I met yesterday about Shark Tank and this new season. No jokes, the first words out of his mouth were "I hate the stupid T-Mobile advertising that they do now". I think my opinion here is pretty much universal as you can see in the comments and hear people's complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very obvious, and a bit annoying. I guess the network needs to make money to bring the show too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just dropped by because I'm getting caught up on Season 4 of Shark Tank and as of Episode 9, I think I've seen FOUR times T-Mobile has popped up, all of which were extremely awkward.

    I think they are pushing a little too hard to get their product noticed, rather than having it more passively placed. There are tons of areas where banners/posters could be, or where they could more casually do their advertising. Every time the T-Mobile thing pops up it's right there in your face, and I'm not 100% sure about this but I *think* all of the phones I've seen are the same ones...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I find the most pathetic is that Daymond John, a supposed "multi-millionaire", would reduce himself to shilling a corporation's product, and so blatantly. Is he that badly in need of money? Maybe he should be on the other end pitching his ideas to the other Sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too noticed more than 1 clear reference to doing something "with my super fast TMobile phone" by Barbara Corcoran, Kevin O'Leary at least. Why is no outright mention in the credits?
    Still love this show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They can also offer consulting services for product selection, application and device provisioning / de-provisioning policy including procedures for requesting and obtaining mobile devices, applications and services; as well as mobility data protection for their customers.SuperSu Apk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Use shorter texts simply because mobile users really don't have got the time to read long pages. It is already stated that mobile hunters usually do not like long keyphrases. this site

    ReplyDelete